Monday, August 25, 2008

The New Name

I must be the worst blogger on the planet. I'm officially done with the bar, I don't have a job yet, and I STILL can't find time to blog? Yeah...I suck at blogging.

But my slacking aside, I thought I'd point people's attention to the fact that the name at the top of this blog has officially changed - to "Confessions of Feminist Bride". I'm hoping that this might free my inner writer to post more often. Because, you see, I'm afraid I'm not finding this whole wedding business thing to be nearly as exciting as all of my activist political goings-on. And E08 on the Nest has officially redeemed my wedding planning exuberance in my fiance's eyes. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'll still be writing about my ever-so-exciting weddings finds and plans (e.g. you're bound to soon see the mess that I will be creating out of the dupioni and cardstock I ordered to create invitations) but I think I'm feeling like the new and improved name will allow me to focus a little more on the things I am finding most important about the institution of marriage right now, i.e. the inequalities is can foster, and the potential it has too erase those inequalities.

To start things of (and yes, I know this isn't exactly wedding related, but it's family-related, and many would consider that part and parcel of marriage...), I'm reading this phenomenal book by Susan J. Douglas and Meredith W. Michaels. I stopped by my favorite neighborhood bookstore while I was packing for my bar trip vacation down to Holden Beach (hurray for sand between your toes!) and picked up "The Mommy Myth." I'm not that far into it yet (I have to admit that I read some fluff on the way down here - "Angels & Demons") but so far I'm finding it excellent. It's an intellectual, yet incredibly humorous and entertaining, examination of the ways in which motherhood has been idealized to such a degree that it is unattainable by many, if not most, women. Definitely pick it up when you get a chance.

Until later (probably tomorrow when the silk arrives),

~ Heather

1 comments:

Vanessa said...

I like the new name and am looking forward to reading your feminist opinions!